Monday, March 19, 2007

The Style Council - The Style Council Collection (1996)

1. Speak Like A Child
2. Headstart For Happiness
3. Long Hot Summer
4. The Paris Match
5. It Just Came To Pieces In My Hands
6. My Ever Changing Moods
7. The Whole Point Of No Return
8. Ghosts Of Dachau
9. You're The Best Thing
10. The Big Boss Groove
11. A Man Of Great Promise
12. Homebreakers
13. Down In The Seine
14. A Stones Throw Away
15. With Everything To Lose
16. Boy Who Cried Wolf
17. The Cost Of Loving
18. Changing Of The Guard
19. Why I Went Missing
20. It's A Very Deep Sea

Video: A Man Of Great Promise (Live on the Tube - late 1984)


A Man Of Great Promise (lyrics)

I bought the paper yesterday and I saw the obituary
And I read of how you died in pain -
Well I just couldnt understand it
If I could of changed that, then lord knows Id do it now
But there is no going back -
And whats done is done forever

But you were always chained and shackled by the dirt -
Of every small town institution and every big town flirt

And I think of what you might have been,
A man of such great promise
Oh but, you seem to forget the dream -
And the more you saw you hated

But lets not talk of blame, for what is only natural
Like a moth going to a flame -
You had a dangerous passion

But you were always chained and shackled by the dirt -
Of every small town institution and every big town flirt

All the things that you might have been - but who am I to say?
Still I wonder -
If its the cold earth you prefer to lay -
If its the cold earth - you prefer to stay

Labels: , ,